Current Professional Activities
- Instrument Scientist for the Hybrid Spectrometer (HySpec) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Collaboration on data collection and analysis with neutron scattering instruments, on experimental studies on structure and dynamics of materials
Instrument Development Successes
- Technical contact for design through commissioning of a soft x-ray beam line at the National Synchrotron Light Source at Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Direction and technical contact for upgrade of a cryogenic scanning transmission soft x-ray microscope to improve tomography capabilities
- Project management and technical contact for design concept through partial installation of the cold neutron triple axis spectrometer CTAX at Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Technical contact for final design through unpolarized commissioning of HySpec, a direct geometry time of flight spectrometer at the Spallation Neutron Source at Oak Ridge National Laboratory
B.S. in Physics, Tennessee Technological University, 1993
Ph.D. in Physics, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 2000
- J. A. Schneeloch, Z. Xu, J. Wen, P. M. Gehring, C. Stock, M. Matsuda, B. Winn, G. Gu, S. M. Shapiro R. J. Birgeneau, T. Ushiyama, Y. Yanagisawa, Y. Tomioka, T. Ito, G. Xu, “Neutron inelastic scattering measurements of low energy phonons in the multiferroic BiFeO3”, Phys. Rev. B, accepted
- B. Winn, U. Filges, V.O. Garlea, M. Graves-Brook, M. Hagen, C. Jiang, M. Kenzelmann, L. Passell, S.M. Shapiro, X. Tong, I. Zaliznyak, “Recent progress on HYSPEC, and its polarization analysis capabilities”, EPJ Web of Conferences 83, 03017 (2015).
- W. Tian, G. Tan, L. Liu, J. Zhang, B. Winn, T. Hong, J.A. Fernandez-Baca, C. Zhang, and P. Dai, “Influence of doping on the spin dynamics and magnetoelectric effect in hexagonal Y0.7Lu0.3MnO3”, Phys. Rev. B 89, 144417 (2014).
- D. Fobes, I.A. Zaliznyak, Z. Xu, R. Zhong, G. Gu, J.M. Tranquada, L. Harriger, D. Singh, V.O. Garlea, M. Lumsden, and B. Winn., “Ferro-orbital ordering transition in iron telluride Fe1+yTe”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 187202 (2014).
- M.B. Stone, J.L. Niedziela, D.L. Abernathy, L. DeBeer-Schmitt, G. Ehlers, O. Garlea, G.E. Granroth, M. Graves-Brook, A.I. Kolesnikov, A. Podlesnyak and B. Winn, “A comparison of four direct geometry time-of-flight spectrometers at the Spallation Neutron Source”, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 85, 045113 (2014).
- C.Y. Jiang, X. Tong, D.R. Brown, S. Chi, A.D. Christianson, B.J. Kadron, J.L. Robertson, B.L. Winn, “Development of a compact in situ polarized 3He neutron spin filter at Oak Ridge National Laboratory”, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 85, 075112 (2014).
- C.Y. Jiang, X. Tong, D.R. Brown, H. Culbertson, M.K. Graves-Brook, M.E. Hagen, B. Kadron, W.T. Lee, J.L. Robertson, B. Winn, “Spin exchange optical pumping based polarized He-3 filling station for the Hybrid Spectrometer at the Spallation Neutron Source”, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 84, 65108 (2013).
- J.S. Wen, Z.J. Xu, G.Y. Xu, Q. Jie, M. Hucker, A. Zheludev, W. Tian, B.L. Winn, J.L. Zarestky, D.K. Singh, T. Hong, Q. Li, G.D. Gu, J.M. Tranquada, “Probing the connections between superconductivity, stripe order, and structure in La1.905Ba0.095Cu1-yZnyO4”, Phys. Rev. B 85, 134512 (2012).
- J.L. Robertson, B.L. Winn, E.B. Iverson, D.L. Selby, “Neutron Spectral Brightness of Cold Guide 4 at the High Flux Isotope Reactor”, Journal of Physics, Conference Series 251, 12062 (2010).
- B.L. Winn, S.M. Shapiro, J.C. Lashley, C.O. Opeil, W. Ratcliff, “Structural Phase Transition in AuZn Alloys”, Journal of Physics, Conference Series 251, 1742 (2010).
- J.C. Lashley, S.M. Shapiro, B.L. Winn, C.P. Opeil, M.E. Manley, A. Alatas, W. Ratcliff, T. Park, R.A. Fisher, B. Mihaila, P. Riseborough, E.K.H. Salje, J.L. Smith, “Observation of a Continuous Phase Transition in a Shape-Memory Alloy”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 135703 (2008).
- S.M. Shapiro, G.Y. Xu, B.L. Winn, D.L. Schlagel, T. Lograsso, and R. Erwin, “Anomalous phonon behavior in the high-temperature shape-memory alloy Ti50Pd50-xCrx,” Phys. Rev. B 76, 054305 (2007).
- B.L. Winn, H. Kimura, D.N. Argyriou, N. Aso, K. Hirota, M. Kofu, and M. Matsuura, “Magnetic field-induced change of modulated antiferromagnetic correlations for La1.85Sr0.15Cu1-yZnyO4 with y=0.004, 0.02,” Physica B 385, 153-155 (2006).
- S.M. Shapiro, B.L. Winn, D.L. Schlagel, T.A. Lograsso, and R.L. Erwin, “Phonon Precursors to the high temperature martensitic transformation in Ti50Pd42Cr8,” Journal de Physique IV 112, 1047-1050 (2003).
- B.L. Winn, S.M. Shapiro, R. Erwin, D.L. Schlagel, and T. Lograsso, “Anomalous Phonon Damping in the High Temperature Shape Memory Alloy Ti50Pd42Cr8,” App. Phys. A 74 [Suppl.], S1182-S1184 (2002).
- B. Winn, H. Ade, C. Buckley, M. Feser, M. Howells, S. Hulbert, C. Jacobsen, K. Kaznacheyev, J. Kirz, A. Osanna, J. Maser, I. McNulty, J. Miao, T. Oversluizen, S. Spector, B. Sullivan, S. Wang, S. Wirick, and H. Zhang, ‘Illumination for coherent soft x-ray applications: the new X1A beamline at the NSLS,’ Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, vol. 7, pp. 395-404 (2000).
- B. Winn, Tomography using a cryogenic scanning transmission x-ray microscope, dissertation, SUNY Stony Brook (2000). Advisor: J. Kirz.
- J. Maser, A. Osanna, Y. Wang, C. Jacobsen, J. Kirz, S. Spector, B. Winn, and D. Tennant., ‘Soft x-ray microscopy with a cryo STXM: I. Instrumentation, imaging, and spectroscopy,’ J. Mic. 197, 68-79 (2000).